With 2019 just around the corner, it’s time to start planning that dreaded New Year’s Resolution. You know, the ones we proudly proclaim on January 1st but only keep until mid-April? Oftentimes that’s because we set unrealistic goals for ourselves. This year, let’s resolve to set healthy, achievableNew Year’s Resolutions! Below, we’ll look at some attainable New Year’s Resolutions – and all ones you can keep while staying close to home!
Spend more time outside
Spend one additional hour per week doing something active outside. Maybe it’s 15 minutes four times per week, or one hour-long walk on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Either way, here are some great local options to keep you outside and moving!
- Maudslay State Park– Grab your boots, snowshoes, and/or sleds and hit the terrain of your choice at this historic park. See if you can make your way to the old house ruins!
- Clipper City Rail Trail– These trails are open year-round, so even during the winter, it’s a great option to get outside. Go for a walk on the newly opened trails with your favorite audiobook and winter boots, and it won’t even feel like you’re working out!
- Moseley Woods– Play with your dog in this off-leash park. Fido will surely love the extra time outside too!
- Cashman Park – When the weather warms up a bit, challenge your wife to a game of tennis, push your grandkids in the swings, or have a friendly softball game with your family & friends.
Eat more greens
This might not sound super-achievable, but let’s just eat one more green-filled meal per week than we did last year. Maybe that means replacing one fast food lunch with a salad each week or picking up a healthier option at one of our Newburyport favorites below:
- Newburyport Provisions – The NBPT Signature Salad looks delicious!
- The Natural Grocer – Try out your greens in juice form!
- Market Basket – If you’re also looking to eat out less, Market Basket offers plenty of fresh produce to make your salads at home. Try out lemon and lime juice as an alternative dressing!
Up your financial health
Concerns with managing finances can be a stressor, and limiting stress is important to your overall health. So, let’s get ahead of the new year by putting some extra emphasis on budgeting and saving!
- Create and stick to a budget– it’s not always fun, but it makes a difference! Here are some helpful tools to get you started with a budget:
- Dave Ramsey – National author and budget planner
- Attend a Financial Workshop– Local adult education workshops on financial planning
- Open a savings account– here are some local banks with savings account options:
- Newburyport Five Cents Savings Bank – Founded in 1854 serving local residents
- Institution for Savings Bank – One of the oldest local banks in the country
- Meet with a Financial Advisor– If you’re not sure where to start, it may be a good idea to meet with a financial advisor. Check out the Newburyport Chamber of Commerce to find some local financial advisors.
Whether you choose one or all three of these resolutions to achieve in 2019, we hope they give you some good ideas for attainable resolutions to keep you healthier, wealthier, and happier.
*The merchants and options listed above are just a few of many great choices in the greater Newburyport area. Please feel free to solicit any business you desire – the options above are just a few ideas to get you started!